Our Vision and Mission Statement
The Youth & Children Workers of the European Baptist Federation meet each January for their annual conference. In 2004 it was decided to summarize our direction, visions and goals through the creation of a mission statement with the purpose of more fully communicating our programmes and activities. The final draft was completed in January of 2005 at the annual Conference held in Izmir, Turkey.
As Youth & Children Workers representing the Baptist unions of the EBF, we believe the Bible is the living Word of God and Jesus Christ as the son of God, is the only source of salvation.
We believe children and youth are not only the future of the church but that they are very much a part of the church today. Therefore, our churches must become participative and adaptable communities which include children and youth from both inside and outside the church. Scripture supports this idea through the example of Jesus who said “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14, NIV)
We believe our churches must raise up youth and children’s leaders to serve the church and serve the world and that their ministries must be mission-oriented. We also believe that youth and children workers must be given respect and freedom to assist them in paving the way for the future of the church.
Is that youth and children’s workers and young Baptists of Europe and the Middle East within the EBF family will:
- be able to get to know and understand one another and each other’s ministry better, and
- will be drawn together into deeper fellowship by demonstrating care, praying and worshipping together, and
- by sharing in common acts of mission and love will impact current and future generations for the sake of the Kingdom of God.
(How we are called to achieve the vision):
- Is to assist Youth and Children’s workers (both paid and volunteer) through:
- encouraging them and strengthening them in practical ways for their tasks
- keeping the focus on the importance of youth and children work throughout the EBF
- providing training opportunities and resources to educate and equip leaders
- Is to encourage partnerships among the various national youth & children departments through specific one on one relationships and/or though regional and international networking opportunities coming together around common areas of identification (i.e.: location, language or cultural associations).
- Is to strengthen the identity of young Baptists in Europe and Middle East and enlarge the awareness and knowledge of being a part of the worldwide Baptist family
- Is to support the acceptance of different ways of expressing Baptist identity
- Is to encourage pastors and church leaders to understand the world in which youth ministry exists so that they may serve as effective bridges between youth and children workers and the local congregations.
OUR PROGRAMME AND ACTIVITIES:
(we intend to fulfil our mission through the following activities, although not limited to them)
- An annual conference for youth and children workers (open to both full/part time and volunteer youth workers) to serve as a platform for education and continuing networking relationships.
- Horizons Youth and Children's on line training programme
- Active support for the EBF Youth Leader Training Co-ordinator.
- An interactive web site to assist leaders in accessing and providing materials and resources in the area of youth ministry training as well as allowing a forum for the exchange of helpful information.